This simple to make apple dessert will be a winner, especially on a chilly evening. The pastry is warm, the apple pie filling is warm and a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped topping adds contrast. The deep apple cinnamon flavor of the apple butter on the plate make this meal a real heart warmer.
Pepperidge Farm Box of puff pastry sheets 17.3 ozs. with 2 ready-to bake sheets
Jar of apple butter
Canned apple pie filling (I make mine from scratch but you can also use Comstock’s Apple Pie Filling 28oz can )
Reddi whip topping
- Remove frozen pastry sheet from box and paper wrapping.
- Thaw pastry sheet at room temperature for no more than 40 minutes or until pastry unfolds easily.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Unfold pastry on lightly floured cutting board.
- Remove parchment paper.
- Cut pastry into 3 strips along fold marks.
- Cut each strip into 4 rectangles.
- Place pastries on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until pastries are golden brown.
- Let pastries cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes.
- Split each pastry horizontally into two layers.
Form a heart shape on individual plates using 3 tablespoons of the apple butter.
Putting it together:
- Split each pastry into two layers.
- On bottom layer, put approximately ¼ cup of apple pie filling.
- Add top and place completed pastry on plate.
- Swirl whipped topping or scoop vanilla ice cream on pastry.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar (optional).